.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Meeting People

It never ceases to amaze me what an easy ice-breaker knitting in public is. Nearly every time I knit in a public space, especially if I'm knitting with a partner, someone inevitably stops to ask what I'm working on and to share something about themselves and their knitting experience, or lack thereof.

Usually it's a woman, but tonight a man also dropped by my table. He told me about a "beautiful young girl" (about 22) who showed up at a bar he was in last night wearing a sweater with sparkly beads that her best friend had knit for her. He proceeded to go into much more detail than I needed about her and her sweater, but it was quite funny to hear him tell the tale.

Isn't it interesting that knitting brings out so many things in so many people... a desire to learn something new, a sense of comradarie among strangers, a nostalgic memory from childhood. It seems that even non-knitters sense the special qualities that attract those of us who are addicted to the craft.

Speaking of "craft", I saw a great quote today...

"He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
- St. Francis of Assissi

1 Comments:

  • Hey there! Great blog.... I love reading spiritual knitting blogs! Thanks... Teresa @ www.myknittingpassion.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Terri, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home