.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Friday, July 30, 2004

Size DOES Matter

I thought that subject line would get your attention! ;)

Yes, you guessed it. I'm talking about that dreaded "S" word... Swatches! I understand the need for swatches to measure the stitch gauge before starting on a new project. But I'd always thought, and been led to believe by some pretty experienced knitters, that row gauge didn't matter. After all, you just keep going until the piece is as long as it needs to be. Who care how many rows that is, right?

NOT!!!

I found a wonderful pattern with raglan sleeves that extend all the way to the neckline. Here's a picture.


Raglan V Sweater



I did a swatch and the stitch gauge was fine. I did the front, back and all the way to the armhole shaping on both sleeves (knit at the same time), only to find that my sleeves were at the right length for my arms, but according to the pattern, I had many more rows to knit in order to get the correct number of increases. Go figure! (I wish I had).

Anyway, I've shared my dilemma with some of the "old school" knitters at my LYS and I'm going to take it with me to the next knit night and hope that they can help me figure out a way to save my project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home