.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Knitting Ministry

Last Sunday I decided to join a local church. I'm very excited about it and looking forward to developing a much more intimate relationship with Christ. When asked what gifts I'd been given that I'd like to share, the first thing that came to mind is the knitting ministry that's been on my heart for the past month or so.

To my surprise, the pastor was very receptive to the idea and is encouraging me to pursue it and make it happen. We discussed taking one or both of two paths:

First, we'd develop a core group of knitters who would meet on a regular basis. I'd teach anyone who doesn't already know how to knit. We'll spend most of the time knitting and chatting, and will contribute at least some of our efforts towards making preemie caps, chemo caps, scarves, hats and mittens that we can donate to charity.

Then, perhaps we can expand the ministry out into the community by forming a knitting group at a local women's abuse shelter. In addition to formign relationships with women and children in need, by soliciting donations of yarn and needles and teaching them to knit, we can provide them with a creative outlet to help take their mind off their troubles, even if only for a little while, and at the same time make love gifts for their families. It would be the biblical "teach a man to fish" theory in action.

I'm praying on this and asking the Lord to use me to plant this seed in our church if He sees fit for me to do so. In the meantime, I'd like to do some research on other knitting ministries, starting with Knitting in the Ministry, by Susan Izard :





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home