.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Making Room

I believe it's true that it's difficult to bring new things into our lives (jobs, relationships, clothes, attitudes) when we're holding on to old *stuff* that just doesn't fit anymore. Perhaps it's that jacket that was on sale this time last year, or the job we hate getting up for in the morning, or that relationship that seems to have lost its spark so long ago that you can't remember when. It felt like the right choice and that time... and it was. But that was then and this is now. What worked for the person we were yesterday doesn't always work for the person we've become today. We can choose to hold on to those things that no longer fit, drain out emotional energy, or simply cease to bring joy to our lives. Or we can choose something that suits us better now. Without fail, whenever I'm able to let go of the past, cleaning out the emotional cobwebs that lurk in the dark shadows, new blessings are not far behind. It's as if God knows that I've done my part, making room in my life for Him to do his.

What's especially comforting is to know that this same theory applies equally as well to the small things. Today, I remembered this lesson after a visit to my LYS. I fell in love with a wonderful new yarn, Magico, which I'd never seen before. I wanted it desparately, but knew I just couldn't spend that much money on more yarn given the stash that I already have (yes, I'm a yarnaholic!). So I headed home disappointed, with a clear image of the sweater I wanted to make in my mind. Then it hit me - I went home, marched into my office to confront my stash, and there it was - sitting right in front of me - the 10 skeins of aptly-named Softee, that I just hadn't been able to start knitting. I loved the feel of it, but the color just wasn't right for me. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it - but maybe that's just it - I wasn't thinking.
I'd gotten so tired of berating myself for such an expensive "mistake" that it was difficult to even look at it anymore.

So, I put it all in a bag, poured through my pattern collection to find the pattern for the sweater I had envisioned, and drove right back to the yarn shop. I made the exchange, paid only $6.35 more, and came home with yarn that I can't wait to start knitting with! The picture below doesn't quite do the yarn justice, but here it is. Be back soon with a new sweater! :)

Magico






1 Comments:

  • Glad you were able to make the exchange.

    The sweater will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it.

    By Blogger Kimberly, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home