.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The Boyfriend Sweater Curse

Since Prudent Purl asked about the boyfriend sweater curse which I am a victim of, I thought that rather than try to explain, I'd try to find a definitive explanation. There's a pretty interesting "editorial" about it at knitty.com. I'm not normally superstitous, and I pooh-poohed the thought of the curse when I decided to knit my former fiance a sweater.

The really ironic thing was that we'd been best friends for months before we started dating. He'd been going through a difficult time and went "home" to Canada for Christmas. I made a blue and white striped scarf for him in honor of his favorite hockey team - the Toronto Mapleleafs, and shipped it to his parent's house. He says (and his parents confirmed) that it was receiving that scarf that made him realize the depth of his feelings for me, and when he came back, well... let's just say that we were no longer just "best friends". :)

He loved that scarf so much that the next Christmas I decided to knit him a sweater. It was a navy blue wide-ribbed mock turtleneck. Pretty cool, I thought... and so did he. He wore it all the time. Of course, I was thrilled. So much for curses, right? Four months later he dumped me! It's a bit more complicated than that, of course, but that's the gist of it. So, I don't need any more convincing that the curse is true! As a matter of fact, I won't buy my husband shoes or a watch either. Has any one heard those (i.e., buy a man shoes and he'll walk all over you)? Any other curses I need to know about?

2 Comments:

  • Pat,

    I just found your blog through the Christian Knitting web ring and I just had to pop my head in and say hello to you. Please stop by my blog and say hello. Recently I had to take down my archives (for security reasons) but I've been blogging since the fall of 1998, and it's not too often that I come across someone with whom I have so much in common.

    Have a blessed Christmas season!

    Peace,

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn, at 1:27 PM  

  • Great Blog! I am also a knitter and have experienced the knitting curse. I will not knit anything for men again! Why do you think this happens?

    By Blogger Helster, at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home