.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Synchronicity

There are no random "coincidences"... no accidents. I believe that everything happens for a reason, even if we can't comprehend the reason at the time. Our daily lives are full of synchronistic events that defy logical explanation, miracles that don't seem possible, blessings that exceed our expectations. Large and small, they are happening around us all the time, yet because we are usually unaware of them, when we do recognize them, they somehow seem special or unique.

I've been praying recently for "miracle-mindedness", which I define as a mindset and an attitude of expectancy that I will witness, receive and/or be a vessel for delivering miracles. As I do so, I find that I'm witnessing them more every day. I do not believe that I am suddenly the lucky recipient of blessings that I wasn't getting before. I simply believe that I'm finally beginning to take notice and appreciate what's truly happening around me. And what a wonderful thing that is.

This afternoon, just as I was leaving for a dentists' appt, I noticed a message from my LYS that a pattern book I'd been interested in had arrived. As I was walking out the door, I made a mental note to stop by on the way home, but then remembered that my daughter's appt was first, then mine, and by the time we both finished, the yarn shop would be closed. We arrived at the dentists' office 20 minutes early. Our hygienist had just finished up with her previous patient - early. Another hygienist was also finishing up - early, so instead of having our appts back-to-back, we had them early, and at the same time... which left just enough time to go get into trouble at the LYS! :)

As I was walking into the shop, I nearly bumped into a woman who was leaving. When we stopped to apologize to each other, I realized it was a woman that I'd enjoyed knitting with on several occasions at the LYS over the summer. Although I'd tried to reach her several times since then, she'd lost my number and never returned the call. I'd thought of her often over the past few months and wished we'd gotten to know each other better. As it turns out, today was her first time back in the shop in ages and she said that she'd been hoping that somehow she'd end up running into me - and she did - almost literally!

She was in the process of leaving, feeling a bit overwhelmed, because she'd promised to make scarves for a friend's college daughter and her 2 friends for Christmas. All 3 girls happened to belong to a sorority and she was struggling with choosing the right shades of pink and green (AKA for those of you in the know!). Although I must admit that I haven't been active in years, I pledged AKA, which she vaguely remembered from our chats, so I spent the next half hour helping her pick the PERFECT yarns for her scarves. We both left thrilled that we'd connected again and that together we were able to solve her gift dilemma.

I know this seems like such a little thing to get excited about. But you see, that's the thing about miracles - there is no order of magnitude to them... Big or small, they all are reminders of God's love for us and acknowledgement that there is a much bigger plan than we could ever conceive or control. When I think about all of the events that had to coincide at just the right moment for me to run into Linda today - the message that the pattern was in, getting to my appt early, getting out of my appt early, traffic being exactly the way it was, Linda's schedule that put her there at exactly the same time... 5 minutes longer on any of these activities could have caused us to miss each other. When you stop and think about it, that's pretty amazing! At least I think it is.

When we focus on the huge, magical, almost supernatural-type miracles that don't happen often, we tend to miss the subtle but none the less powerful blessings that surround us each day. The more we exercise our "soul muscles", the stronger, more observant, and more powerful they become. Slowly, we move from living life to experiencing it. What a difference that makes.

Just think about it... I bet you experienced a miracle today too. If you didn't catch any of the ones that occurred in your life today, be on the lookout tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home