.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Knitting for the Soul

Monday, November 29, 2004

Completion Issues

Is it just me, or is the inability to commit to one knitting project at a time a natural phenomenon. I always start projects with such enthusiasm, and I promise myself that I'm going to work on just this one until I finish. Then inevitably I see another pattern to die for, or a yarn that I fall in love with, and the process starts all over again. I don't think I've ever had just one WIP at a time, and I'm almost afraid to count how many I have now...

  • There's Blaze, which is about 20% completed - I decided that one could wait awhile since I can't wear it now anyway. It's definitely a spring sweater;
  • There's the Multidirectional Scarf which is about 75% complete - that was an unexpected last-minute addition, along with the Rowan chunky print "A La Gap" scarf;
  • Then there's the Celtic Star turtleneck from an old Vogue Knitting magazine which I just started last week;
  • There are countless charity knitting projects in various stages of progress; and if all that wasn't enough,
  • I just bought Jamieson yarn to make an awesome leaf and cable patterned sweater (in Granny Apple Green wool).
And let's not talk about my stash, which has enough yarn to make at least another 5 sweaters.

So many projects... so little time.

I need to "try" to take the same approach to knitting that I take to my work each day. I need to prioritize my projects, decide which one is making the most "noise" (I got that term from a feng shui class). It may not be the one that I can wear the soonest, or the easiest one, or the most challenging one, but usually, there's one that needs to be finished sooner rather than later. And when I listen, I can hear which one that is. The challenging is being true to that calling, and realizing that the others will come to be at their appointed times.

Another tip that helps me get unstuck at work is to focus on how much I've accomplished for a minute - there's plenty of time to think about how much there is to be done. So, while I learned how to knit as a child, I've only been "serious" for about the past year. I didn't realize it at the time, but I've really been pushing the envelope and taking on more and more challenging projects - things that I wouldn't have had the courage to tackle even a few years ago. So here's my list of my accomplishments during this past year:

  • Developed a stash, including making some impulsive purchases, admitting my mistakes and unloading most of them
  • Found and frequented most of the local yarn shops in the area, and a few outside of the area
  • Finished quite a few projects, including 4 sweaters, a poncho, a few things for gifts, and about 100 scarves that I sold last year (NEVER AGAIN!!!)
  • Developed an extensive pattern collection of patterns that I love. It would take me a lifetime to knit them all, and I know I'll keep collecting even more!
  • Learned a lot of techniques from more experienced knitters
  • Taught several women to knit
  • Experienced the joy of knitting with other women
  • Appreciated the serenity and mindfulness of knitting alone (without the tv)
  • Started a knitting ministry at my church
  • Knitting some items for charity
  • and perhaps most importantly, developed some wonderful new friendships with women who share my passion for knitting.
Not bad for the first year, huh? Should be interesting to see what's in store for 2005!

1 Comments:

  • Hi Pat,

    I had to say hello to a fellow Virginian. I'm frequently in Richmond as I telecommute (I live in Salem) for a company based in Richmond. Blaze is quite a pretty knit and is on my list for the winter. Keep up the knitting spirit!

    Tanya

    By Blogger IndigoMuse, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home